Putney Chapel
An 1844 chapel built by the Boothe and Welles families, moved to the park in 1968 and restored for community use.
A Chapel from North Stratford
Putney Chapel was built by the Boothe and Welles families in 1844 as a meeting place for worshipers at the north end of town, where muddy roads could make travel difficult. Local farmers used it for grange meetings, while women gathered for quilting bees, sewing circles, and preparations for the annual Strawberry Festival. The chapel originally stood at the end of Chapel Street, which gave the street its name. It was moved to its present location in 1968 after it became a danger to drivers, and it has since been restored for weddings, funerals, and quiet community use.
What to Look For
- Simple chapel form and preserved materials
- Connections to the Boothe and Welles families
- Etchings of David B. Booth Sr. and Deacon Welles
- The chapel's move from Chapel Street to the park
- Special-use context during ceremonies and events
Preserving Putney Chapel
Preserving chapel spaces and historic buildings keeps Boothe Park’s architectural collection meaningful for future visitors. The Friends of Boothe Park rely on volunteers, members, and donors to care for the structures, collections, gardens, and stories across the grounds.